The allure of the Do Nothing Cake lies in its simplicity and the perfect fusion of basic ingredients. Let’s take a closer look at what goes into creating this delectable treat:
- Flour: The foundational element, providing structure to the cake.
- Sugar: Sweetening the deal, sugar not only adds sweetness but also contributes to the cake’s texture.
- Eggs: The binding agent, ensuring all the ingredients come together harmoniously.
- Baking Soda: A leavening agent, responsible for the cake’s rise and light texture.
- Crushed Pineapples: The star of the show, adding a burst of tropical flavor and moisture.
- Vanilla Extract: Elevating the taste with its aromatic essence, vanilla is the secret weapon for a delightful flavor profile.
2. Preparation Tips & Tricks
Creating a Do Nothing Cake may sound like a breeze, but there are some tips and tricks to ensure your cake stands out in flavor and texture:
- Sift the Flour: Sifting the flour before adding it to the mix ensures a smoother, lump-free batter, contributing to the cake’s overall consistency.
- Play with Pineapples: Experiment with the crushed pineapples; try adding more or less according to your preference. You can even explore using fresh pineapple for a unique twist.
- Add a Nutty Twist: For an extra layer of crunch and flavor, consider incorporating chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans into the batter.
- Go Coconut Crazy: If you’re a coconut fan, why not throw in some shredded coconut? It adds a delightful texture and complements the pineapple flavor.
- Mindful Mixing: Don’t overmix the batter. Gentle folds are all it takes to bring the ingredients together without compromising the cake’s lightness.
3. Why Is It Called Do Nothing Cake?
The name “Do Nothing Cake” might sound paradoxical – after all, baking involves some effort, right? The story behind the name is as charming as the cake itself.
Legend has it that this cake earned its moniker due to its straightforward preparation. The recipe is so wonderfully uncomplicated that it’s often humorously referred to as the “Do Nothing Cake.” Baking enthusiasts can appreciate the joy of creating a delicious dessert with minimal effort, letting the oven do the hard work.
The name not only adds a playful touch to the recipe but also highlights the ease and accessibility of making this delightful treat. So, the next time you find yourself whipping up a Do Nothing Cake, relish in the fact that sometimes, the best things in life require the least amount of effort.
In essence, the Do Nothing Cake is a testament to the idea that simplicity can be extraordinary. It brings together humble ingredients in a harmonious dance of flavors, creating a dessert that’s not only delicious but also a joy to make. So, embrace the simplicity, enjoy the process, and savor every bite of your Do Nothing Cake creation.
Do Nothing Cake
For the cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
For the frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, eggs, baking soda, vanilla extract, and the entire can of crushed pineapple (with its juice).
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the frosting. In a saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, shredded coconut, chopped nuts, vanilla extract, and evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- Once the cake is done baking, immediately pour the hot frosting over the hot cake.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before serving.
- Enjoy your delicious Do Nothing Cake!